This great steak pie is full of large tender cubes of beef and vegetables in a thick ale gravy.
The filling is pre-cooked so the baking is about getting a perfect pie crust.
Preparation: 30min Cook: 1hour 35min Ready in: 2hours 5min
1. Marinate the steak in the beer overnight. Drain, saving the beer then coat the meat with the flour, salt and pepper. (Don’t use more flour or the gravy will get too gluey).
2. Heat the oil in a saucepan and brown the meat a few pieces a time then remove the cooked pieces to a bowl when they are done.
3. Put the onion, garlic, leeks, carrots and mustard in the same saucepan then cook until the onion and carrots are soft.
4. If it looks dry add a bit of water. When the mixture is cooked tip it into the bowl with the meat.
5. Return the empty saucepan to the heat and turn up then pour in half the beer. Let it bubble scraping all the bits stuck to the bottom of the saucepan.
6. Pour the meat into the saucepan then add the stock, bouquet garni and all the remaining beer and simmer for 45 minutes.
7. Preheat the oven to 190 degrees C.
8. Lay the puff pastry into a prepared pie dish.
9. Pour the filling into the pie shell then add the pastry top and press down round the rim.
10. Trim the edges and decorate with pastry trimmings then brush with egg and bake for 40 minutes until golden brown.